StanCert to facilitate OECD workshop of product safety and risk
StanCert facilitates US, EU and China discussions on product safety
StanCert organises an Australian Technical Infrastructure Alliance Awareness Raising Event in Canberra on the 8th of September 2011
New bunk bed safety laws
StanCert helps Government and regulatory authorities build responsible yet creative solutions to challenges posed in the development and implementation of strategies, frameworks, standards and compliance regimes to meet existing and or developing public policy.
The pressure on Commonwealth, State and Local Government to provide value for dollars spent has never been greater. We are living in a time where controversial issues are openly discussed over the internet and via email. News travels quickly and the public demands transparency and accountability.
We understand that effective planning and rigorous risk assessment are crucial to the success of initiatives. We believe that the way to ensure the continued relevance and effectiveness of policies, strategies and programs is through independent quality monitoring and review. This provides reassurance that governance and safety obligations are considered and fully addressed.
StanCert has a range of services for government and regulatory authorities including:
- Standards strategies
- Standard, code and document development
- Consultation services
- Accreditation and industry certification activities
Other StanCert services include:
- Risk, quality and project management
- Research, analysis and policy advice
- Face-to-face and online training programs
- Facilitation and presentations
Why choose StanCert
StanCert is a market leader in developing standards strategies, both in Australia and internationally. This is an area that can add considerable value to the public sector, particularly in relation to the procurement and roll-out of products and associated materials, as well as services. Safety issues relating to particular products or materials can be avoided by reference to the relevant standards. We have also recently developed the Product Safety Manager, an innovative application that enables organisations to efficiently and effectively carry out product risk assessments and standards testing through leveraging key organisational knowledge. The robust risk assessment methodologies underpinning this application can be applied to public sector programmes and initiatives.
We have developed standards in some of the most high profile, commercially sensitive and political environments. For example, infant and nursery products, electrical safety, biometrics, risk management, corporate governance and leading edge information technology applications, to name but a few. In fact our team has been responsible for the production of more than 1000 national and many international standards underlying numerous regulatory systems. We offer strategic standards based solutions to organisations seeking to mitigate risk and enhance their overall business performance.
In his former role as General Manager Business Standards at Standards Australia, Mark Bezzina, Managing Director of StanCert, was responsible for managing the development of all Australian standards and Australia’s input into international standards associated with security and risk assessment including AS/NZS: 2004 4360 Risk Management, AS/NZS HB 436: 2004 Risk Management Guidelines and AS/NZS HB 167:2006 Security Risk Management He also managed the development of Australian standards associated with fraud and corruption control, such as the AS 8000 series of standards on governance including AS 8001 Fraud and corruption control and contributed to the development of ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems – Requirements and its associated standards. Mark founded and through StanCert continues to act as Executive Director of the National Centre for Security Standards (NCSS). This body oversees the development of Australian security standards.
Standards development is based on consultation and consensus building. We are sought out as expert facilitators and our skills in this area are transferable to any initiative requiring public consultation.
All StanCert consultants are highly qualified and experienced in a variety of sectors, including the public sector. We have expertise in writing policies and procedures, in addition to undertaking research and analysis. StanCert only engages senior consultants who have the expertise and experience to complement and work constructively alongside your team. We are also networked to other consultants with subject matter expertise who are sub-contracted to assignments as required.
We are currently approved panellists for the Defence Materiel Organisation of the Department of Defence and the Land and Property Information division of the NSW Department of Lands. We have also been recently approved for the Prequalification Scheme – Performance and Management Services established by The NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet, in conjunction with the NSW Department of Commerce.
Our other valued clients (current or past) from Government and regulatory authorities include:
- Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC),
- Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department
- National Measurement Institute (NMI), a division within the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research.
- National Health & Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- NSW Department of Lands
- Department of Defence
- Department of Finance and Deregulation
- Department of Health and Ageing
- Queensland Department of Communities
- Queensland Department of Education and Training
- QBuild (Queensland)
- Many government agencies from APEC and ASEAN regions
Some examples of high-level Government and regulatory authority projects successfully completed by StanCert are listed below:
- Current chair of the Technical Infrastructure Alliance (TIA), a group established by chief executive officers from the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ), the National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA), the National Measurement Institute (NMI) and Standards Australia. This alliance was formed to identify and execute joint projects, with the aim of bringing greater efficiency and performance in quality standards.
- Risk assessments including on toy-like novelty cigarette lighters, which can be very appealing to children and lead to risks of accidents or injuries.
- Bunk bed reviews to ensure compliance with the Australian and New Zealand Standard for bunk beds (AS/NZS 4220) and the soon to be released revised standard, AS/NZS 4220:2010.
- Collaborating in the development of the Security Sensitive Biological Agents Standards and organising public consultation forums to support this initiative.
- Developing a Security Lexicon to create a common language for security.
- Identifying needs and priorities for security standards and technical regulations, and creating an integrated framework for security risk profiling and assessments. This involved organising and facilitating an industry and government forum on security systems and standards that was attended by over 200 industry leaders.
- Ascertaining a collective stakeholder view of national priorities for the development of technical integration standards (TIS) needed to support information interchange within the Australian health sector.
- Establishing The Society for Knowledge Economics, a professional body with a national charter to raise awareness and instigate a debate on the changing nature of the global economy, and the related need for the appropriate measurement and management of its key economic input – knowledge capital.
- Advisory services in relation to the development of an implementation plan for a national standards framework.
- Conducted a review of health informatics standards and technical regulation to identify needs and priorities to address such things as patient identification, health data security, interoperability and a consistent national health record.
- Developed an integrated auditor certification system that is now known as Infosec- Registered Assessors Scheme (IRAP)
There are many testimonials to the quality of our work on this website. We provide contact details for recent contracts when submitting proposals, quotations and responses to tenders.
Call StanCert to discuss this service